Thursday, May 6, 2010

WDYL- WHERE DO YOU LIVE

1 of my favorite coaches to read about has to be Buzz Williams.   I had the chance to watch a practice in his first year at Marquette.  The energy that he has on the court is something that I have never seen before.  However the thing that really gets me is that he invited me back to the video room and wanted my thoughts on the practice.  He is a guy that has not forgotten his roots at all.

I came across an aritcle on him by Luke Winn:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/blog/tag/buzz-williams/

Williams used an acronym of his own creation: WDYL.
It stands for “Where Do You Live?” — and Williams has gone as far as to have it printed on the Golden Eagles’ practice shorts. “In my opinion, old people live in the past, and love to talk about things when they were young,” Williams said. “Young people love to talk about the future. Every player here, they all think they’re going to the league. But I believe wise people live in the present.”

This quote is one that really jumped out to me.  One thing I have learned is that worrying about what has happened, gets you nowhere.  If you take care of the present everything will work out.  In coaching, it seems like a lot of guys are coaching for their next job.  You can usually spot the guys that are 100% invested in their current job and the guys that are there for now.  

There is a really good book out there called "The Precious Present" and its a short 80 page read.  I highly recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment